Follow Team USA U-20 at 2012 WJUC
Posted: August 10, 2012 12:29 AM
Team USA Results
Team USA News Briefs
- Thursday, August 21st, 2012
- WJUC Diary entry by Coach Weisbrod after returning home
- Tuesday, August 21st, 2012
- WJUC Diary entry by Anthony after returning home
- Saturday, August 18th, 2012
- Team USA U-20 Open capture the gold medal over Colombia 15-10.
Team USA U-20 Girls also faced Colombia in their final, falling to the 2010 WJUC champs 14-10.
More information will be posted soon, along with more diary entries from both teams.
- Friday, August 17th, 2012
- The USA teams were victorious in their semifinals, though the games were quite late. US Girls' opened at 11 AM with an 8-2 lead at half over Germany, closing it out to 14-8 after withstanding a late German run.
The boys' ended up winning 11-8, but the game was much closer than that, with Canada holding an early break until the US took half 7-6 (early half due to WFDF half-time cap). At 9-8, the US team re-asserted itself, and scored the last two points to take the game.
In a refreshing change - both games had gorgeous weather and calm winds.
Both teams move on to the finals at Tolka Stadium versus Colombia. Boys take the field at noon local time, the girls at 2. Closing ceremonies will be immediately following the girls' final.
- Thursday, August 16th, 2012
- Team USA U-20 Girls wrapped up their power pool, including an 8-5 upset in the mud over the #1 seeded Colombia squad. Team USA will next face Germany in the semifinals.
Team USA U-20 Open also finished out their power pool undefeated, and will face Canada in a big semifinal matchup Friday.
- Wednesday, August 15th, 2012
- Team USA U-20 Open started the day against Germany in the morning. It was alternately windy, rainy, cloudy, and warm. Weather got worse as the game progressed. The Germans came out very strong and were and excited, fueled by a large U17 team cheering them on. Germany led for most of the first half until Team USA wrested control around 6-6-, eventually taking half 9-8, From there, Team USA rattled off 5 straight to win 14-8.
Team USA U-20 Girls had a lone game against the Austrian U-17 team (an exhibition game). Great handler pressure from the US led to a lot of short field points, and girls won 15-0. Weather during this 11am round worsened (less windy, but more rain). It also had an unfortunate code, with a tree branch falling on the two teams as they gathered for a spirit circle. Fortunately, no one was severely hurt though a number of folks were rattled. The teams have gathered back inside and are now warm and dry and in good spirits.
Due to turf conditions, the remaining U20 open games were called for the day (source). The schedule is being adjusted and will be known at 8:30pm tonight, and will be announced on the WJUC 2012 Twitter feed.
Weather for tomorrow looks better - windy, but no rain.
Check out these photos by WFDF, f/go, as well as these girls' team shots by Yannis Arvanitis (Tasha).
- WJUC Diary entry by Olivia after the rain soaked day in Dublin
- Tuesday, August 14th, 2012
- Team USA U-20 Girls wrapped up Pool C with a 17-7 win over Australia, followed by a 17-3 victory over Russia. Tommorow they have an exhibition match against Austria U17, followed by power pools on Thursday.
Team USA U-20 Open took Pool A handily with a 17-4 win over Finland and a 17-3 defeat of France. Tomorrow is the start of power pools, where Team USA will crossover with Pool C (exact match-ups still TBD)
- Monday, August 13th, 2012
- Team USA U-20 Girls cruised through the day, with 17-0 victories over Israel and Great Britain. Tomorrow they face Australia in what is a rematch of the 2010 bronze medal game, as well as a Russian team that fell 17-5 to Australia today.
Team USA U-20 Open went 2-0 on the day, with a 16-7 victory over Australia and a 17-2 win over Chinese Taipei. Tomorrow they face Finland in the morning, followed by a France squad who defeated Finland 17-8 today.
Nina with a layout grab in the game against Israel. [CREDIT: Yannis Arvanitis]
- Sunday, August 12th, 2012
- Friday, August 10th, 2012
- Team USA U-20 completes its week of training camp in Winchenden, MA and heads off to Dublin, Ireland.
During the week we heard from members of Team USA about their experiences at camp: