1. GOOD third party officials make the game more fun and more fair for everyone involved. USA Ultimate should continue to heavily invest in the growth and improvement of the Observer Program. I envision a future where those who like playing with third party officials can choose events which employ high quality Observers while others can choose events without officials if that’s what they prefer.
2. Self-Offication CAN be a fun and fair method of rules enforcement IF players are GOOD Self-officiators. USA Ultimate should be actively working to help players and teams be better at self-offication. I feel strongly that if we are to continue to be a sport where players make the calls, the USAU is sorely lacking in their efforts to make players good at self-offication.
3. USA Ultimate should strive to be a National Governing Body in the mold of US Soccer or USA Basketball as opposed to MLS or the NBA. Given our particular situation, USA Ultimate does a great job coordinating tournaments. That said, I support a USA Ultimate in which the split between Governing and Organizing is very apparent.
4. USA Ultimate should have an active department that targets high schools for the creation of teams. Often young players find the game through summer league or pickup games but have no recourse for creating more playing opportunities for themselves. USA Ultimate should facilitate the creation of high school and youth club teams when there are young players looking for guidance and support.
5. USA Ultimate IS currently doing a good job at setting standards and must continue to stay high minded. Sideline safety and field lining, roster verification, tournament sanctioning, coach and observer certification, and communication with membership should never be compromised. USA Ultimate’s path towards increasing professionalism is encouraging and must be reaffirmed.
For a more in depth look at my proposals for the Observer Program, Self-Offication Improvements, Governance vs. Organizing, Youth Opportunity Creation, and High Organizational Standards please see my website.
I hope to have your vote.