The Ultimate Hall of Fame was established in 2004 to honor the men and women "who by their deeds as ultimate players and/or contributors, and by the example of their lives, merit acknowledgment by all individuals involved in the sport of ultimate."
Although the Ultimate Hall of Fame remains a "virtual" hall for the time being, the long-range goal is to establish a permanent site by 2018, the 50th anniversary of the founding of the sport. In the meantime, the inductees are currently honored with a plaque at the USA Ultimate headquarters building in Boulder, CO. The formal induction ceremony, which is held every five years in conjunction with the ultimate players’ alumni reunion, was last held in 2013, alongside the 2013 USA Ultimate National Championships in Frisco, Texas.
To be inducted into the Ultimate Hall of Fame, potential candidates must complete three steps. The first stage involves "peer voting," where potential candidates are reviewed and ranked by a group of players or contributors from their own playing era. During the current "catch-up" period, the second stage involves winnowing the field down to a slate of twenty candidates through a review of the peer voting results and of written applications solicited by a five person Vetting Subcommittee. The slate of twenty is announced to the community with a request for comment. The final stage involves two rounds of voting for up to ten inductees by the full voting committee, comprised of the Vetting Subcommittee and the Player and Contributor members of the Ultimate Hall of Fame. An inductee must receive an affirmative vote of at least two-thirds majority (66%) of the voters to be selected.
- HoF Candidate procurement:
- Nominations/completed Player Candidate Questionnaires are due by Sunday, September 25
- Letters of Reference for nominees are due by Sunday, October 2
- Peer review:
- Peer Review process to be completed by Monday, October 17
- Selection of finalists:
- Ultimate Hall of Fame Vetting Subcommittee chooses slate of candidates by Sunday, October 30
- Call to the Community:
- Responses from the community to start on Wednesday, November 2 and end on Wednesday, November 16
- Final voting:
- Voting to take place Sunday, November 20 to Sunday, December 11
- Press release goes out Monday, December 19
In order to be considered for the Ultimate Hall of Fame (or the Peer Pools), potential candidates must fill out the appropriate application form, attaching one or more reference letters along with a current photo.